List:       apache-httpd-dev
Subject:    Re: [pthread_mutex] apache will not load mod_jk.so
From:       Jeff Trawick <trawick () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2002-07-26 13:18:03

Dev Zero G Ltd <mailing_lists@devzerog.com> writes:

> Hello and thanks for reading.
>
> We have managed to build mod_jk.so and jk_jnicb.so for Apache 2.0.39
> and Tomcat 4.0.4, but neither Apache nor Tomcat will successfully use
> these modules:
>
> when launching Apache, we get:
>
> # /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl -k start
> Syntax error on line 1043 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so into server:
> /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so: Undefined symbol
> "pthread_mutex_unlock"

Apache 2.0 and APR won't normally link to thread libraries on FreeBSD
because (apparently) some problems in the thread libraries on that
platform prevent Apache from working reliably.  I suspect that
mod_jk.so can't find the pthread calls because Apache was not linked
with -lpthread.

Can you build mod_jk in a way that doesn't reference the pthread
calls?  Does it have some configuration mechanism to tell it that it
doesn't need to be multi-thread capable?  I can't see how the pthread
calls are useful on FreeBSD since Apache won't work there using
a threaded model.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...