List:       apache-docs
Subject:    HOWTO: Proxying MS Exchange OWA with Apache
From:       "kent tegels" <kent () tegels ! org>
Date:       2000-12-21 4:34:14

I'm sending this message to the list hoping that somebody will be able to
make use of my lessons learned, or at least forward this to someplace where
it might.

I was recently asked to expose an internal email system, based on Microsoft
Exchange, to the Internet. The components to my solution were:

* An existing collection of Exchange Servers
* An NT4/IIS4 based Web server attached to an internal (trusted) network.
Installed the Outlook Web Access 5.5 (SP4) components on this. This is
essentially a collect of scripts that provide HTML renderings of Exchange
objects.
* A Windows2000 sever with the binaries for Apache 1.3.14 located in an DMZ.

We enabled http on port 80 between the DMZ and the trusted network, along
with the high reconnect ports. I modified the httpd.conf thusly:

uncomment the line: LoadModule proxy_module modules/ApacheModuleProxy.dll
uncomment the line: <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
uncomment the line:     ProxyRequests On

uncomment the line:     <Directory proxy:*>
uncomment the line:         Order deny,allow
uncomment the line:     Allow from all
uncomment the line:     </Directory>
uncomment the line:     ProxyVia Full (and change to full)
add the line:    ProxyPass / [url-of-host-in-trusted-network]
add the line:    ProxyPassReverse / [url-of-host-in-trusted-network]

uncomment the line: </IfModule>

I also modified the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file with name
and the IPv4 dotted-quad of the OWA server in the trusted network.

NOTE: This works *SO* much better than trying to make an OWA server in one
NT4 domain front for a Exchange Server in second NT4 domain. I tried for few
hours too many to make that work and finally said "its time to try something
easy!"

Thanks!
Kent Tegels
-- A raving Apache Fan