List:       apache-db-general
Subject:    Re: Apache DB question
From:       Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-06-04 18:41:30

Thomas P. Fuller wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm doing a bit of research on an idea and hope that you might be able
> to save me some time. In particular, if you're able to point us
> towards the packages to look at, or point out that this idea is not
> worth pursuing (for any reason), we would find your information to be
> very helpful.
>
> Here's the idea:
>
>             We would like to swap out the internal representation of
> table data and replace it with (very table-like) objects that will be
> located on a shared memory data grid, such as Oracle Coherence.
>
>             We're in the early stages of exploring this idea so we're
> not really sure yet if it will work the way we're thinking.
>
> And the question is:
>

>             What classes should we look at so that we can virtualise
> the database onto a grid memory rather than in-memory or to disk -
> implement a iapi.store.access.ConglomerateController maybe?
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hi Tom,

I would suggest you re-post to the Apache Derby development list at
derby-dev@db.apache.org.
You could also have a look at how the in-memory support was added (see
DERBY-646, path derby-646-2b-vfmem_first_rev.diff), and think about
whether your idea goes well with that approach or not.
If you want to do something at a higher level, I think you have to
expect quite a bit of extra work. As an alternative to DERBY-646, you
could also have a look at DERBY-2798. You're not as tightly bound to a
file interface here, but the current proposal doesn't integrate as well
with the existing Derby code.

Regards,
--
Kristian