List:       apache-current-testers
Subject:    Re: Apache 2.0.20
From:       "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe () rowe-clan ! net>
Date:       2001-07-11 0:02:27

From: "Daniel Stone" <daniel@sfarc.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 6:06 AM

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 07:53:13PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > I have just tagged Apache 2.0.20, and I am rolling it now.  It will
> > be available at http://dev.apache.org/dist/ within the next 30
> > minutes.  Please feel free test and report back the results.
>
> -1 on making this a beta, until either mod_ssl is a) fixed, b) tagged
> experimental/broken/whatever, or c) ripped out. Yes, I've applied the two
> patches that were floating around earlier, and it segfaults on load. Mind
> you, there's no clear documentation on making this happen, but I used the
> configuration directives and userspace tools from 1.3.20+mod_ssl, and it all
> works fine, except it segfaults on load. Backtrace soon(ish).

As others have pointed out, we are proceeding on the beta w/w-o mod_ssl.
Other issues may interfere with this becoming a beta, but this lists' long
debate yeilding the decision to proceed.  BUT, your objection should be noted
in the beta announcement (something like, "Note; mod_ssl is not part of this
beta cycle, and is not even asmuch as alpha quality yet.  Please be patient
for ssl/tls support in Apache 2.0.")

As another noted, mod_tls works.  However, mod_tls is a model of how mod_ssl
should insert itself as a filter in the Apache 2.0 model.  The 'cool features'
are actually part of mod_ssl and will remain there.  mod_tls is very light on
useful functionallity, and it won't be growing new Directives.

Bill