List:       apache-bugdb
Subject:    os-windows/5143: after installing 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 the server doesn't work and the links do not eith
From:       "Haƫl" Lorande <hael () iname ! com>
Date:       1999-09-30 4:59:03

> Number:         5143
> Category:       os-windows
> Synopsis:       after installing 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 the server doesn't work and the \
>                 links do not either.
> Confidential:   no
> Severity:       critical
I've been successfully running version 1.3.6 on my NT workstation.  I downloaded and \
installed version 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 and to my dismay, the install program created \
several new links in the start menu entry for apache that didn't work, and also \
caused apache server not to work when it was started as a service manually.  It \
coudln't even be "installed" as a service becuase the new link to "install apache as \
NT service" pointed instead to "My computer" and had none of the extra -d "E:\Program \
Files..." stuff that the previous "install as service" links did.  On top of that, \
Apache wouldn't even function unless it was run as a console app from the dos prompt. \
Unless the version/install package I downloaded got somehow corrupted (I downloaded \
it again to make sure) then someone made a serious error in the install \
package/program for the apache NT version 1.3.9.  I also tried uninstalling all the \
apache components and just installing 1.3.9. this produced the same results.  I'm now \
back on 1.3.6 till this serious bug gets worked out.  I'm guessing you guys probably \
have been swamped with reports in regards to this issue but I saw no mention of it on \
you site so I decided to try and speed the fix process by writing in myself.
> How-To-Repeat:
just install apache 1.3.9 over 1.3.6 on an NT workstation. or install it as a \
standalone and try to get it to install as/run as a service.  The links dont' even \
work.
> Fix:
fix your install program and double check teh apache exe to make sure its built \
correctly.