List:       apache-bugdb
Subject:    os-windows/4165: "Cannot spawn child process"?
From:       Uri Sarid <sarid () nd ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-29 23:18:01

> Number:         4165
> Category:       os-windows
> Synopsis:       "Cannot spawn child process"?
> Confidential:   no
> Severity:       serious
I installed Apache 1.3.6 and modified my httpd.conf to have the options
that have worked for me on my Linux box to serve standard Perl CGI scripts.
I have the world's simplest perl script installed in the cgi-bin directory,
and can execute it from the command line or by double-clicking it, so it's
properly associtade from Perl. I'm using FAT so I shouldn't have any
permissions problems. And the server serves pages fine. But if I try to point it
to my Perl script, it generates the following error in the log file:

[error] [client 129.74.75.173] (2)No such file or directory: couln't spawn child \
process: c:/www/physics/cgi-bin/hello.pl

even though that's the absolutely correct path to my executable.
I apologize if this is my misconfiguration mistake--I tried to play with all
possible options in the httpd.conf file but to no avail. Could it be a
problem with the server? Can you give me any hints where the problem
might be?
Thanks!
p.s.: I searched your faq, dejanews, and the problem report
database first, naturally...
> How-To-Repeat:
http://particle.phys.nd.edu/www/physics/cgi-bin/hello.pl
(but it just gives the standard error...)
> Fix:
I wish I did!