List:       apache-bugdb
Subject:    Re: general/3110: Apache restart and httpd hungs
From:       Marc Slemko <marcs () znep ! com>
Date:       1998-09-30 16:40:00

The following reply was made to PR general/3110; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: John Chen <c.chen@rocketmail.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:30:15 -0700 (PDT)

 On 30 Sep 1998, John Chen wrote:

 > SunOS 5.5.1 Generic_103640-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
 > When we feel the site response speed is slow, we restart Apache server. Sometime
 > the improvement is very little. It seems that some httpd process instances hung
 > even though they look like healthy, so that the server restart act would not
 > help too much. What's the possible causes for this ? Does reboot the server
 > help ? Are there any other solutions other than reboot ?

 You really don't give us much to go on.

 Do you have any extra modules compiled into Apache?

 What do you mean you "feel" site response speed is slow?  Do you have
 anything to quantify this?  Do you look at what the system is doing at
 that time to see why it is slow?  What does mod_status say?

 What sort of traffic do you get?

 You don't even say what version of Apache you are using!  We can't give
 you answers without you telling us the basics such as the information
 requested in the submission form.