List:       apache-bugdb
Subject:    Re: os-qnx/2142: server becomes unresponsive despite active
From:       bob ostermann <bob () rtquotes ! com>
Date:       1998-05-29 13:00:00

The following reply was made to PR os-qnx/2142; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: bob ostermann <bob@rtquotes.com>
To: coar@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
  servers. netstat shows ESTABLISHED
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:55:41 -0400

 At 11:35 AM 5/29/98 -0000, you wrote:
 >Synopsis: server becomes unresponsive despite active servers. netstat
 shows ESTABLISHED

 >Comment-Added-By: coar
 >Comment-Added-When: Fri May 29 04:35:32 PDT 1998
 >Comment-Added:
 >So, does this mean the problem went away in 1.2.6, but
 >is back in 1.3b7?  Hmm!  And if the server gives you
 >the status page but not a normal document..  Do you have
 >mod_info included?  Will it give you the info page as well?
 >How about executing a script?  I'm wondering if there's
 >something here specifically to do with file access - the
 >status and info modules generate their display at run-time.
 >The status module doesn't open any files though the info
 >module does.

 The problem did not exist in the 1.2 series. I had been running 1.2.1 and
 tested 1.3b6 which displayed the problem. I upgraded my servers to 1.2.6-
 the problem was not there. I did this to try to narrow the window of
 versions where the problem had been identified.

 1.2.1	 no problem
 1.2.6   no problem
 1.3b3   problem
 1.3b6   problem
 1.3b7   problem

 Regarding the status page, this happened one time only. All the other times
 there was no response whatsoever- no script, info, status, anything. No Log
 entries in access, error, or referrer. There also seemed to be an
 insufficient number of httpds running (only one).