List:       ant-user
Subject:    RE: Failing sourcesafe task.
From:       Ken Gentle <j.kenneth.gentle () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-09-30 16:50:53

I had trouble getting VSS to work via attributes on the task as well.  I
ended up  setting the VSS environment variables SSUSER and SSDIR

# Micro$oft Visual Source Safe
export VSS_HOME="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VSS\win32"
export SSUSER=${USERNAME}
export SSDIR="\\\\source\\code\\vss"

I used VSS_HOME to point to the location of the SS executable for inclusion
in my PATH, and set the other SS vars appropriately for my environment.

Here's the usage from one of the build scripts:

         <vsscheckout
                 vsspath="${vss.path}"
                 login="${env.SSUSER}"
                 serverPath="${env.SSDIR}"
                 localpath="${vss.local.path}"
         />

         <vsscheckin
                 vsspath="${vss.path}"
                 login="${env.SSUSER}"
                 serverPath="${env.SSDIR}"
                 localpath="${vss.local.path}"
                 comment="Build for deployment to QA"
         />

         <vsslabel
                 vsspath="${vss.path}"
                 login="${env.SSUSER}"
                 serverPath="${env.SSDIR}"
                 comment="Build for deployment to QA"
                 label="${vss.label}"
                 autoresponse="Y"
                 />

"vss.path" and "vss.local.path" are the VSS Project path and the local
directory path respectively.  "vss.label" is generated by the build
script.  The SSUSER and SSDIR are imported from the environment via:

        <property environment="env"/>

The only reason I can come up with for this working versus simple inclusion
of the SSUSER and SSDIR values in the script itself is that the VSS
executable is being invoked from ant in such a way that it is only looking
in the environment for the SSUSER and SSDIR values.  I've not looked at the
source for the VSS tasks for over a year now, but I seem to remember
reaching this conclusion after reading the source.  Of course, being over
40, memory is the second thing to go -- and I don't recall the first... ;^)

         Ken