List:       ant-user
Subject:    Re: Symbolic links and Ant
From:       Stefan Bodewig <bodewig () apache ! org>
Date:       2003-09-30 6:10:51

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ben Pracht <bpracht@zcloud.net> wrote:

> As of the 1.6alpha version I have, symbolic link support was not
> quite there, although there was a task for symbolic links.

I wouldn't expect that to have changed at all.

> Has any work been done to integrate symbolic link support directly
> into File objects

It depends on what you want exactly.

> and be able to handle them in tarballs?

No.  No, there is no special support for symbolic links in <tar> yet.

> I realize this stems largely from a Java limitation, but thought
> maybe someone coded some JNI calls to address this.

To detect symlinks Ant compares canonical and absolute file names,
which may lead to false positives on a larger set of non-Unix OSes and
even on some Unix OSes (like Macs using HFS+).

The <symlink> task uses ln as native executable instead of JNI, this
makes distributing Ant a lot easier (otherwise we'd have to create and
maintain platform binaries for all OSes that support symlinks).

Stefan