List:       ant-user
Subject:    RE: passing parameters from command line to the ant script ????
From:       Shailesh Sharma <shailesh_scea () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-09-29 16:49:51

hmmm ....thanks !!!

Mark Lybarger <Mark.Lybarger@CBC-Companies.com> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Shailesh Sharma [mailto:shailesh_scea@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 12:27 PM
To: Ant Users List

i agree, sorry for being having bad etiquette ....:) sometimes !!!

well, the problem is that if i specify all the parameters with -D property
then i would basically loose the whole point of specifying something like
this:

my-unix-box > ./ant monapp testnet
my-unix-box > ./ant monapp production

the point is ....iam trying to use ANT and i wanted to hide all complexities
there in. These scripts will be used by people who will not anything about
ANT/shell.
---------------------------
ant is a tasked based tool, not a general complexity hider. it might hide
some complexities in some circumstances, but it's purpose is to execute
tasks. if you want to use ant to execute a given script, you can varry that
script by taking parameters on the command line. you can also access system
variables via $env.SCRIPT_TO_RUN. i don't see it being any more complex in
specifying
ant monapp -Dscript.to.run=testnet

as oppose to what you have mocked up. if you don't want the ant users to as
easily know that their commands are going to run a script called testnet,
you can also varry the internal properties files. you can have a
test.properties, production.properties, etc. and run ant such as:
ant monapp -Dprops=test.properties

-------------

do you understand what iam saying ?

my another question was:
how can i make 2 targets to be different with the *same name* but with 2
different "depends" ??
is it possible .....OR else my question is .....is it in any ways possible
to make 2 targets to be different having a same name ???

------------------------

you can have a main target, which calls other targets based on certain
criteria.

------------------------

thx, shailesh

David McTavish wrote:
Hi Shailesh,
Can you please refrain from using all capitals in your Subject? It really is
considered bad etiquette.

As for your answer, you can supply parameters on the command-line using the
-D parameter:

ant -Dmyproperty=x mytarget

HTH,
d.