List:       ant-user
Subject:    Re: Win2K vs Sun
From:       Bevan Arps <bevan.arps () actfs ! co ! nz>
Date:       2002-02-27 20:52:14

At 10:06 27/02/2002 -0500, Kyle Adams wrote:
>It was kind of surprising to see both Sun boxes run slower than the baseline
>WinNT 4 workstation.  That's why I'm looking for advice from others who
>have experience running large Java builds.

I've found that the amount of memory available to the JVM makes a BIG
difference to build performance.

Upping our build machine from 128M to 256M accelerated our builds from
45min to 15min.

Note that the amount of memory available to the JVM isn't necessarily the
same as physical memory. Have a look at the options available to java.

For example, on our build machine we use -Xmx200M (set maximum heap to 200Mb).

Hope this helps,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).