List:       ant-dev
Subject:    Re: Ant 2 design (was Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0?)
From:       Bruce Atherton <bruce () callenish ! com>
Date:       2012-02-21 19:10:22

Unit testing has long been considered important for Ant. A published
report a few years ago (can't find it now) showed our code coverage was
among the highest of the open source projects that they reported on, as
I recall. It has often happened that committers push back on code
submissions asking that unit tests be included.

Other types of tests are welcome too, though. Integration tests such as
you suggest for plugins, functional tests across classes. My own
preference in development generally is to create a regression test for
each bug report before fixing it to make sure it doesn't come back to
bite us. But of course all of that is up to the people who make code
submissions. The overhead of maintaining a large testing suite in open
source projects tends to limit them to unit tests + some other tests for
expected pain points.