List:       ant-dev
Subject:    Re: 1.8 Performance Degradation
From:       Antoine Levy Lambert <antoine () gmx ! de>
Date:       2010-03-02 12:44:27

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> If you run the testcase I've committed to the antunit tests (in
> antunit/taskdefs/optional/windows) with Ant 1.7.1 it takes 0.3s on my
> notebook, with Ant 1.8.0 it takes about ten seconds.  Now, if you reduce
> the constants used for the sleep and join methods in PumpStreamHandler
> and StreamPumper from 500 and 100 to - say - 50 and 20 it goes down to
> 1.2s.  The time really is dominated by the join timeout and currently
> you can't seem to have any single execution that takes less than a
> second.

That's nice.
> We can neglect the effect if the execution itself takes several seconds,
> but with small things like <attrib> the delay becomes an issue.

Someone reported on stack overflow that a db backup takes ages under Ant
1.8.0. [1] I suppose this db-backup is just one process.
Maybe this process produces a lot of output on stderr and stdout.
> Before I just commit smaller constants I wanted to revisit the issue -
> and before I really do that I want to wait until you are ready with your
> changes so we don't trip on each other's toes.

I am done. Unless my change of yesterday evening broke something.

Regards,

Antoine

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2305301/ant-1-8-0-low-performance