List:       ant-dev
Subject:    Re: Releasing IvyDE
From:       "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.hanin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-27 6:39:25

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <
nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com> wrote:

> Le mardi 20 mai 2008, Gilles Scokart a écrit :
> > I didn't use IvyDE, but I'm +1 for an alpha or beta release seeing
> > that recent bug reports starts to be reported against "The latest
> > build (May 16 from www.hibnet.org)" [1] or from xoocode [2].
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-93
> > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-90
> >
> > 2008/5/19 Maarten Coene <maarten_coene@yahoo.com>:
> > > +1 for an IvyDE release.
> > > I'd prefer a beta release instead of an alpha release though...
> > >

> As there is no objection since last week, let's go for an IvyDE release !
>
> As suggested by Xavier, I vonlonteer to be the release manager.

Great!

> Marteen raised a question about the name of the release. For me, "alpha"
> means "release that developers know it to be unstable" and "beta" is
> for "developers think it has minor bugs but is stable, then let's the users
> test it".
> For me it is unstable, mainly due to IVYDE-82 and currently I saw that
> IVYDE-54 can freaks out Eclipse.
> So I vote for "alpha".

alpha is fine for me.

> Then about the release, in order to follow the Apache guidelines, some work
> need to be done about packaging the source of IvyDE. I will look about how
> the sources are usually packaged for the Eclipse plugins. We should
> probably
> have different kind of packaging: the source got from an updatesite, and
> the
> full sources which also contains the build system.
>
> We will also probably need an Apache Ivy updatsite. For the few tests I
> have
> done with my own one, it is not working properly, updates are not
> detected...
> Some investigation will be needed here too.
>
> About the documentation, I have finished migrating the IvyDE website, so
> now
> there is the "history" category, like the Ivy site. I think we should
> publish
> it as soon as we get an IvyDE release adopted. WDYT ?

Agreed. Good job!

> And the documentation in the binary distribution. Could a simple link to
> the
> website be enought ? Or should we push the html doc into the zip ?

Since we have the history on the website, I think a link is enough.

> In the Apache doc, I can read:
> > If svn:externals is used, check carefully that a tag is referenced. This
> ensure that all the source for the release is fixed. If the target of a
> svn:externals changes then the release will no longer be complete
> reproducible.
> So shouldn't xooki be released somehow ?

You're right, the version of xooki we use  should be tagged. Using the date
as tag seems good enough for me.

> Does anybody see any other points that need to be addressed before starting
> build a release ?

About the update site, we need to know where we will put it. Apache
Directory Studio use their own site for that [1], maybe we can do the same?

Xavier

[1] http://directory.apache.org/studio/update/1.x/