List:       annvix-dev
Subject:    Re: [dev] no lilo package
From:       Vincent Danen <vdanen () annvix ! org>
Date:       2005-06-24 6:23:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 23-Jun-05, at 12:16 AM, Ying-Hung Chen wrote:

>> A mistake in the install docs.  I think lilo is nowhere near as
>> feature-rich or as easy to use as grub.
>>
>> What's the problem that you're having?  lilo is no longer
>> packaged;  the
>> docs need to be updated to reflect that.
>>

> I have attached the problem I have having while i am using SCSI
> interface in the VMWare. IDE interface works fine,
>
> pls see the attached screenshot

I know we talked about this via IM this morning, but just so the
archives have the info and no one thinks I'm ignoring you...

for some reason, a new version of kudzu (not sure when) stopped
modifying /etc/modules.conf by adding new alias and module lines in
there.  As a result, with a SCSI root disk, the appropriate module
(in this case BusLogic) wasn't being added to the initrd file because
mkinitrd didn't know about it (since kudzu neglected to write/update
the file).

I need to look at this to figure it out.  In the meantime, this can
be worked around once you've done the install and have chrooted to /
mnt/annvix.  Delete the /boot/initrd-2.4.30-2avx.img file and then run:

mkinitrd --with=[scsi_mod] /boot/initrd-2.4.30-2avx.img 2.4.30-2avx

if you're using reiserfs or xfs for the root partition, you'll also
have to add --with=reiserfs or --with=xfs (this is off the top of my
head, but I believe that --with=[mod] is correct).

You should also update /etc/modules.conf appropriately as well at
least before you upgrade the kernel (I think I have some info about
modules.conf in the docs online).

Hope that clears that up, at least until I can give kudzu a good kick.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"

["PGP.sig" (application/pgp-signature)]