List:       annvix-dev
Subject:    [dev] migration to runit
From:       Vincent Danen <vdanen () annvix ! org>
Date:       2004-09-11 21:36:19

[Attachment #2 (--Apple-Mail-1-667262269)]

Charlie will be happy to hear this... =)

I've finally gotten around to modifying srv to work with runit, and
have successfully booted/rebooted/halted an Annvix system in vmware
using runit as init rather than the sysv-init.

Seems to work fairly good, but I'd like to do some more work before I
commit it; I know there are some remaining svc calls hanging around
that will need to be removed and then I'll have to modify run scripts
to work with runit (and put us in a position to remove daemontools
completely).

I'm actually quite impressed, although one thing that bugs me is that
runit seems to "dirty" the process table somewhat.  What I mean by this
is that for each runsv-controlled service, a ps shows "/bin/sh ./run"
whereas using supervise, this didn't show up.  I'll have to ask Gerald
about this once I get everything finished (Charlie, any ideas on how I
can get rid of that?).  It makes ps a little difficult to read with all
of these /bin/sh processes all over the place, especially on a server
with a lot of systems running.

I'll also need to make the packages so that I can move /sbin/init to
/sbin/init.sysv and have runit as /sbin/init.  This will mean you need
to reboot after making the upgrade.  I am not having runit obsolete
daemontools yet, nor am I removing it yet, although expect it soon.

Just giving a bit of a progress report.  The driving factor for me to
do this was to better handle the mysql run scripts (I need that finish
script that runit gives us).

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
*Please note gpg keyid FE6F2AFD has been replaced with keyid FEE30AD4*

["PGP.sig" (application/pgp-signature)]