List:       annvix-dev
Subject:    [dev] call for a new name
From:       Vincent Danen <vdanen () opensls ! org>
Date:       2004-06-03 23:34:18

[Attachment #2 (--Apple-Mail-48-624276253)]

It's come to my attention that there used to be a distribution a long
time ago called SLS.  This wouldn't be a bad thing except that,
apparently, SLS used to be a pretty crappy and pretty insecure
distribution (this is back in the day of Slack and Yggdrassil if anyone
can remember that far back).

I don't really need or want that kind of association for OpenSLS so I'm
now thinking about a new name.  Any suggestions would be appreciated,
but please keep them serious (ie. no dumb names).

This poses a few problems, particularly for compiled software; ie.
everything is tagged as opensls-linux-gnu (in gcc and other programs),
and the extension (sls rather than mdk) needs to be considered as well.
  I don't particularly mind keeping the sls extension, but it's better
if things worked out (ie. if it's called XYZ Linux, then the extension
should be xyz, rather than sls).

This has me quite perturbed... came to my attention today.  But I think
it would be prudent to change the name now rather than later,
especially if some "old timers" see the name and think OpenSLS is a new
version of the old SLS.

--
OpenSLS - Secure Linux Server: http://opensls.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"