List:       analog-help
Subject:    Re: [analog-help] server error_log files
From:       "Aengus" <analog07 () eircom ! net>
Date:       2007-06-22 15:02:43

Andrew Myers <abm@centralcm.com> wrote:
> I am not speaking about the error.txt file produced by Analog.  I'm
> talking about *server* error logs.  I'm not sure these logs have much
> value since errors such as the one in the line above are already
> caught and analyzed via the usual server log analysis.

That's really the key question - if there isn't any useful information
in the error logs, then there isn't much point in running Analog against
them.

> [Fri Jun 22 04:50:03 2007][error] [client 66.249.72.74] File does not
> exist: /data/13/0/106/102/758102/user/775099/htdocs/main.html

In this example, this request should be showing up in the Access Logs
with a 404 code, and Analog would include it in the Failure Report.

That's not to say that the Error Log is useless, but the fact that it
says "File does not exist" rather than 404 tells you that it's designed
to be human readable, rather than to be parsed and analysed
programmatically. If the errors in the error log are ones that you're
satisfied should already be in the access logs, then there's not much
point in running Analog against them. In fact, the error log may have
even less information that the Access log - it doesn't include any
referrer information, for example, so you can't track down the source of
the bad request.

Aengus