List:       amd-dev
Subject:    Re: HLFS and solaris 2.7: /bin/mailx and procmail freezes.
From:       Erez Zadok <ezk () shekel ! mcl ! cs ! columbia ! edu>
Date:       1999-04-10 4:06:20

In message <199904081607.LAA17461@zaniwoop.ae.utexas.edu>, "Robert T. McLay" writes:
[...]
> Note that it freezes when the user's files are an NFS
> mounted file system from a linux-intel box.
>
> /bin/mail works ok even for nfs mounted files from linux
[...]

Linux and Solaris have all kinds of nfs problems.  The various linux
newsgroups and lists are full of discussion.  The problems appear to be an
interaction b/t the user-level nfs server on linux (no lockd) and solaris's
newer code, or with linux's knfs that isn't that stable.

People suggested using newer linux 2.2.x kernels with knfs and the special
lockd/nfs tools that use kernel threads (not the user level ones, see the
kernel config help for knfs).  Also there are some important solaris patches
to apply: tcp/ip, nfs, and kernel jumbo.

Still, even with all those, I'm still having some trouble with nfs
interactions b/t linux and solaris.

Linux-to-linux or solaris-to-solaris work ok, though.

Erez.