List:       amd-dev
Subject:    Re: amd mounting nfs mounts multiple times
From:       Ion Badulescu <ionut () badula ! org>
Date:       2004-12-20 15:14:14

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> On Dec 20,  9:32am, ionut@badula.org (Ion Badulescu) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: amd mounting nfs mounts multiple times
>
> | On most systems it would actually fail. Linux is special because it allows
> | multiple mounts onto the same mount point, with no safeguard or 'force' flag.
>
> Yes, but amd should know about that and not mount over the same mountpoint.
> It is not linux's fault.

Amd does know, but historically it never needed to care because the mount
would fail anyway. Plus it's a case of administrative misconfiguration,
which also historically has a tendency of getting amd's guts all tied up
in a knot. :-)

Sure, it could be cleaned up, and it probably wouldn't be hard either. I'm
willing to take patches...

As for Linux, denying an overloaded mount by default would have been the
sensible thing to do. It's a bit late now, as the feature has been present
since late 2.3.x (and caused more than its fair share of confusion when it
came out, until mount(8) implemented some safeguards).

Ion

--
   It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
             than to open it and remove all doubt.