List:       amd-dev
Subject:    Re: am-utils support for HP-UX
From:       Erez Zadok <ezk () cs ! sunysb ! edu>
Date:       2004-08-22 17:48:35

In message <EFC621B98B7BF04591227851769A4B45106736@wcosmb05.cos.agilent.com>, tim_dietrich@agilent.com writes:
> We have a large number of HP-UX systems (10.20, 11.0, 11i) running
> am-utils 6.0. 6.0 has generally worked well for us, but we are starting to
> look into deploying high performance filers, for which NFSv3 support is
> crucial. As such, the lack of NFSv3 support for HP-UX 11 in 6.0 is starting
> to become an issue for us. I know that the NFSv3 implementation in 11.0 is
> questionable, which is why 6.0 never supported it, but I believe that 11i
> has improved the implementation.

I've used it w/ 11i (Itanium) just fine a while back.

> From the INSTALL file included in 6.1, it appears that HP-UX support has
> been dropped from am-utils. Is this true?

No, we removed some code that incorrectly tried to use autofs on 11i in 6.1,
b/c we weren't ready for that.

> Ultimately, what I'm trying to find out is, what would it take to get
> am-utils 6.1 to work on HP-UX 11i, including support for NFSv3 (both UDP &
> TCP)?

Can you build the latest 6.0 and 6.1 off of the nightly CVS snapshots, and
let us know what does "amd -v" reports?  Does it recognize nfs3?  At least
6.1 should.

Also, did you try 6.1 to see if it works.

> Tim Dietrich
> Agilent Technologies

Erez.