List:       amd-dev
Subject:    Re: FW: SherLok Merfy: AMD -S -w0
From:       Ion Badulescu <ionut () badula ! org>
Date:       2003-11-07 18:08:49

> From:    SherLok Merfy <brewhaha@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>

I don't know why I would even bother to respond to such an obvious troll,
but...

> 	Locking system memory is for interrupt-driven processes. If your
> code has to be there when an interrupt occurs, then you lock it in RAM,
> and only then. AMD is an error handler for ANY device, and one that
> shouldn't be called very often, so it doesn't qualify, so -S should
> be the default.

That's a silly definition. Locking your process's memory is reasonable any
time you can't afford to have it swapped out, i.e. pretty much any time
you require RT or near-RT responses from it.

The above paragraph proves that the author of the email has no clue on how
amd operates, or when and how often it is called.

> 	In fact, the only reason I can see for you believing that it
> does qualify is that it unmounts devices. THAT would reduce performance,
> especially for devices that require a login. I tried setting -w0, but it
> took the specification literally and required that I hit CTRL-Z (slowing
> the shutdown before reboot to a crawl).

-w0 just doesn't make any sense at all. -c0 might do what you want.

Ion