List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] Cleaning and delivering...
From:       Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt () innominate ! com>
Date:       2001-04-28 11:48:46

> If cleaning infected mail is in violation of the RFC, then how come
> products such as NAIs Webshield or Symantecs NAVG do exactly that ?

Because the customer want exactly that.

A small story from a bank where I work from time to time:

The guy who runs the IT departement asked me about the Virus Scanning SMTP
gateway we installed for them. He said:

ITguy: Well, are encrypted mails being scanned for viruses?
Me:    Sort of. If the virus is encrypted, the scanner obviously can't find
       a virus. It's encrypted after all. If the virus is just attached
       afterwards, the scanner will see it.
ITGuy: The other company said that there's a product that can scan Lotus
       encrypted mails for viruses.
Me:    Whoa. In that case Lotus encrption can't be that good or the server
       has some sort of master decryption key, which means that everybody
       who has access to the server can decrypt anybody's mail.
ITguy: <pauses for 3 seconds> I think Lotus encryption isn't all that
       secure, is it?
Me:    That seems to be the case, yes.

> I'm not saying blindly, but with the appropriate indication that there
> was a virus and that it was cleaned (or not).

I thinks it would be nice to have such a function/option.

--
ralf.hildebrandt@innominate.com                            innominate AG
System Engineer                        Don't be afraid of what you see -