List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] Antivirus programs?
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-10-10 19:59:39

On Friday 05 October 2007 07:53:08 Anders Norrbring wrote:
> Hiya all!
> I'm just curious about what you guys and girls has to say about AV
> application for use with amavis-new? Which ones do you like and dislike,
> and why?
>
> I use Kaspersky, NOD32 and F-Secure myself at this time, but I think I'll
> drop NOD32 purely because the hefty price tag. Apart from that, I feel it's
> incredibly fast and good, but the price is just too high..

I'm using F-Secure, Avira, Bitdefender and F-Prot, in that order. It's
overkill for my requirements, but it does give excellent coverage. By
staggering the update times, I can be reasonably sure I have maximum
protection at all times.

Each of them has its benefits.

There's not much in the way of malware that gets past F-Secure, invariably it
has been something new where the gap between database updates has just missed
it, and the update scheduled a couple hours later would have caught it.

Avira mostly seems to catch phishing mails for me, but has also caught a
couple of malware that were missed by F-Secure (due to the overlapped
updates).

Bitdefender and F-Prot rarely get reached before the problematic mail has been
found by the others, but I have had no problem with this setup in several
years.

With a throughput of only around 6000 mails a day, these work well enough on
my XP1700+ system with FreeBSD6/exim/amavisd-new. The box performs several
tasks (webserver with relatively light load, smtp/pop/imap, routing and
firewall), and is never overloaded. Mostly it is 90%+ idle, and these are all
non-daemonized versions I use.

Andy

--
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy@athame.co.uk