List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] logging of perl runtime errors when daemonized
From:       Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+amavis () ijs ! si>
Date:       2007-03-06 0:55:07

Leo,

> I'm experiencing some random crashes (once or twice a day) of amavisd
> worker processes.
>
> However, since amavisd runs in daemonized-mode, I don't see any
> error-message, I'm just seeing that postfix looses the connection to
> amavisd. (See attachend syslog-messages.)
>
> How about redirecting runtime-errors to the log when running daemonized?
> The attached patch could do the job. (Just a quick hack, maybe the
> location isn't perfect.)

Makes sense, looks fine, accepted, thanks.

If these are real process crashes, the above won't help much unfortunately.

The likely culprits are Perl modules with code in C (e.g. uulib, SQL dbd,
Berkley db, SAVI, Mail::ClamAV), but also some less careful Perl code,
like image analyzers, sloppy regexps, etc. These can only be caught by
strace/truss, or by guessing from the last log entry at level 5 before
a process goes away. Use amavisd-nanny as the first/quickest indicator
of any problems in the recent past (since amavisd restart), then search
the log for a given PID of a process that 'went away'.

  Mark