List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] Question about Amavisd-New and spam delivery/quarantining...
From:       Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+amavis () ijs ! si>
Date:       2006-01-26 12:58:17

Glenn,

> doing the
> $sa_dsn_cutoff_level should drop any spam that scores over 30

Wrong, it only controls sending DSN (delivery status notifications,
sent to the sender).

From amavisd.conf-sample:

# D_PASS     mail will pass to recipients, regardless of bad contents;
#
# D_DISCARD  mail will not be delivered to its recipients, sender will NOT be
#            notified. Effectively we lose mail (but will be quarantined
#            unless disabled). Losing mail is not decent for a mailer,
#            but might be desired.
#
# D_BOUNCE   mail will not be delivered to its recipients, a non-delivery
#            notification (bounce) will be sent to the sender by amavisd-new;
#            Exception: bounce (DSN) will not be sent if a virus name matches
#            @viruses_that_fake_sender_maps, or to messages from mailing lists
#            (Precedence: bulk|list|junk), or for spam level that exceeds
#            the $sa_dsn_cutoff_level.
#
# D_REJECT   mail will not be delivered to its recipients, sender should
#            preferably get a reject, e.g. SMTP permanent reject response
#            (e.g. with milter), or non-delivery notification from MTA
#            (e.g. Postfix). If this is not possible (e.g. different recipients
#            have different tolerances to bad mail contents and not using LMTP)
#            amavisd-new sends a bounce by itself (same as D_BOUNCE).
#            Not to be used with Postfix or dual-MTA setups!

> $final_spam_destiny   = D_PASS;   # subject to $sa_dsn_cutoff_level

You changed the value, but not the comment, which makes it confusing.

The original line from amavisd.conf-default is:

  $final_spam_destiny = D_BOUNCE;   # subject to $sa_dsn_cutoff_level

the comment is trying to convey that sending of DSN
is subject to $sa_dsn_cutoff_level

(i.e. spam level above $sa_dsn_cutoff_level
turns D_BOUNCE into a D_DISCARD)

> If it's delivered, how do I make it so it *only* goes
> in the quarantine

Spam above kill_level goes to quarantine, regardless of
whether you also force it to be delivered (by D_PASS or spam_lovers).
Again, there is a top limit to quarantining: $sa_quarantine_cutoff_level

  Mark