List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] can't delete amavisd-new - no pid file
From:       mouss <usebsd () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-11-28 0:38:12

Peter Gumbrell a écrit :
> I have amavisd-new (ver 2.1.2-5) installed by default with Suse 9.2, but
> I don't actually need it so I want to remove it. It fails to load on
> boot because of a missing pid file,

this shouldn't be a problem. make sure it really doesn't load.

  so I tried creating a blank file,
ahem? pid files contain the pid of the process. don't try to invent them.

> but then it complains of a corrupt pid file instead.
and feel happy. if you put a "1" in the pid file and tried to stop it,
it would stop your init...

  I tried to remove
> it / update to same version in case of bad install using Yast, but again
> this missing / corrupt file prevents this possibility.

if you can't remove a package, then it's a system issue. complain to
your vendor/packager/... after all, rm can remove any file you want.

  I also checked
> the runlevel editor and etc/sysconfig editor features of Yast, and was
> able to select 'use amavis - NO' from the latter but this makes no
> difference to it trying to load in the first instance.

then you have a system config error.

> Can somebody advise on how to remove the program, preferably in very
> simple steps and in Yast since I am a complete hopeless Linux newbie?

you probably have a startup file that runs amavis at boot. find it and
move it to another place.

> Perhaps it would be possible to obtain a functional pid file from
> somewhere and copy that into the directory just so I can start it up
> properly and then uninstall it?

you don't need to run a program to uninstall it. you really need to
complain to your vendor/packager/.... It should be trivial to unistall
software (unless it is needed by other part of the system, but this
isn't the case for amavis).

Now, your system is too old. you should upgrade to the next version of
linux. This is called NetBSD. see www.netbsd.org for more infos:)