List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] a few basic questions
From:       Gary V <lists () johnmecham ! com>
Date:       2005-11-26 23:43:37

Peter wrote:

> Hi, it's me again.  :)

> 1. I quarantine spam to local mailboxes via SQL policy but whether I have
> "edit subject" in SQL policy and/or in amavisd.conf there is no editing
> being performed.

> file:
> $sa_spam_subject_tag = '*** SPAM *** ';

> sql (policy.spam_subject_tag, spam_subject_tag2, spam_modifies_subject):
> '*** SPAM ***', '*** SPAM ***', 'Y'

Only mail that reaches a recipient will have the subject line
rewritten. There is no point to mark spam that is quarantined because
if you should need to release a message from quarantine, you would be
releasing ham, therefore you would not want the subject line marked as
spam. There are other considerations:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amavis-user&m=112974245130141&w=2
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-spam

> 2. I quarantine viruses to local mailboxes via SQL policy but attachments
> are not sent.  Is there a setting for this?

The entire quarantined message (with any attachment(s)) will be in the
quarantine. Are you saying the message in the quarantine is no longer
complete? If so, I would suspect that some other program has modified the
message after (or possibly while) the message was sent to the mailbox.

From an earlier post, Mark said:
"Amavis* project(s) so far stayed on the position that a mail body
should not be changed apart from some added/edited header fields
(partly because we don't want to be culpable when something goes wrong).
While I did give-in somewhat when I introduced a simple form of
'mail  defanging' (wrapping a message/rfc822 MIME container around
original mail in certain cases), I have no immediate plans to refine/extend
such functionality."

Gary V