List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] How do I stop notifying external spam senders??
From:       Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec () ijs ! si>
Date:       2002-11-29 20:32:00

Dan,

| I have a question, the answer to which I'm sure will be quite trivial,
| but this is something that's becoming more of a priority to resolve. It
| seems as though our amavisd installation (20020630), when a message is
| determined to be SPAM, it is properly quarantined within an internal
| mailbox, however, a bounce back is also sent to the message originator.
|
| Hence the problem. Most message originators don't exist, or their
| mailboxes are full, or what have you. Which means the message ends up
| sitting in our queue. I've poured over the /etc/amavisd.conf and removed
| all references for notifying external recipients, however the mailq
| continues to fill with these spam bounces.
|
| What am I missing? How can I put an end to these off-site notifications
| and simply send them to the quarantine only?
|
| $final_virus_destiny =  0;  # -1=reject, 0=discard, 1=pass
| $final_spam_destiny  =  0;  # -1=reject, 0=discard, 1=pass

Hm, looks fine.
The $final_spam_destiny is controlling the spam rejections.

Are you sure the entries in the queue are not from before,
when you might still have $final_spam_destiny = -1,
which is a default? You did a reload, I presume.

The 20020630 does not know to generate bounce messages to spam senders
(the 20021116 does), so $final_spam_destiny = -1, in cooperation
with your MTA, is the only mechanism to produce rejects/bounces.
You don't perchance have more than one assignment to $final_spam_destiny?
(the last one prevails)

| @local_domains = qw();

Although not related to your problem, sooner or later
you will want to set this list to match your environment,
otherwise some setting refuse to work.

  Mark