List:       amavis-user
Subject:    Re: [AMaViS-user] [Fwd: Load split with Amavis]
From:       Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec () ijs ! si>
Date:       2002-11-29 15:12:36

ˇ Hola Andrés!

| This is a suggestion for improving Amavis.
| 1) I want to split e-mail processing between two machines:
| - One to dispatch e-mail
| - One to run antivirus/antispam.
|
| 2) Why? I want to split cpu load and (most important :-), I want a clean
| e-mail traffic stat from Postfix.
|
| 3) So, in /usr/sbin/amavis I changed the sub forward_mail from
|           my $SMTP_HANDLE = Net::SMTP->new("127.0.0.1:$smtp_port",
| to        my $SMTP_HANDLE = Net::SMTP->new("$smtp_host:$smtp_port",
| and defined $smtp_host elsewhere.
|
| It's a quick and dirty hack, but you can craft a more elegant solution in
| a next version.

With amavisd-new (which is mostly upwards compatible
with amavisd-snapshot), you have several options for splitting load:

- move amavis daemon to a separate host from the MTA;
- forward mail to a third host if you wish (i.e. as you suggest);
- use multiple MX records to be looked-up by MTA (e.g. Postfix)
  to delegate content checking to more that one host, each running
  its amavis daemon copy.

So in summary you can have one or two MTA boxes,
and have one or more boxes running amavisd-new.
Of course this could all still be a single box.

Also since you are using Postfix, using the SMTP (or LMTP) transport
from Postfix to amavisd-new gives you some advantages to the
pipe method used by amavisd-snapshot: less file system overhead
(temporary directories and files are reused), and more informative
Postfix log entries.

Saludos
   Mark