List:       amavis-tech
Subject:    [AMaViS-tech] MTA::SMTP module: reliability for outgoing mail (failed outgoing connection)
From:       Everton da Silva Marques <everton () lab ! ipaccess ! diveo ! net ! br>
Date:       2002-09-24 18:59:24

Hello.

The following discusses amavis-ng from CVS tree as of 2002-09-24.

When the MTA::SMTP module fails to connect to the outgoing
SMTP port, it "freezes" the scanned message in the problems
directory for later (manual ?) care.

I think this is not ideal, because under heavy loads, the
remote SMTP server can refuse the connection from Amavis.
In such a case, several messages tend to be blocked waiting
for manual intervention.

There are at least two fixes:

1) Add queue management to MTA::SMTP for periodic
   retries on failed messages. I don't like this
   because it adds significant extra complexity to
   Amavis. Mail queue handling seems a SMTP server
   issue to me -- not an Amavis problem.

2) Make Amavis send the message to the SMTP
   server through a "trusted" channel which is
   not subject to rejection (though it is subject
   to queuing for later deliver). I think
   piping the message to a local MTA addresses
   well this issue.

Summarizing:

It would be nice if MTA::SMTP could send outgoing
messages through a pipe to a local MTA, just like
the other Amavis MTA modules do (I believe).

What do you think? Is there plan or previous
work for this issue?

Should I spend some time on a patch for this?

Am I missing anything obvious? <;)

Thanks,
Everton