List:       amavis-tech
Subject:    [AMaViS-tech] Re: Core team meeting this week
From:       Hilko Bengen <bengen () vdst-ka ! inka ! de>
Date:       2002-06-26 10:13:30

Wolfgang Lumpp <wol@msc-ge.com> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2002 08:42 schrieben Sie:
> >=A0"Lumpp, Wolfgang" <wol@msc-ge.com> writes:
> >=A0> I'm looking for a possibility to block files by filetype.
> >
> >=A0You could write a small program which acted like a virus scanner,
> >but =A0used file(1) and magic(4) to find out the file's type, and
> >reject it =A0if you don't like it. =A0I think there is even a Perl
> >interface to =A0magic(4), but you'd have to search CPAN for it.

File::MMagic. AMaViS-ng uses it.

Actually, AMaViS-ng stores this information in an internal structure
that is available after unpacking the message.

The right way would not be to implement this as a pseudo virus
scanner, but rather as a Policy module. There is some code for that in
-ng, but it is commented out, so far because there is no interface
defined for it, yet.

-Hilko