List:       amarok-devel
Subject:    Re: A proposal to release 2.9
From:       andreas k <andreas_k () abwesend ! de>
Date:       2018-02-23 12:55:55

with oxygen-icons we make a new oxygen-icons5 repository that nothing will
be destroyed in kde4.

cheers
Andreas

> Hello Heiko,
>
> this sounds like a good proposal. I can also provide some help as I've
> done releases in the past.
>
> About merging KF5 branch into master, I'm not sure how feasible this is
> considering that both branches have diverged a lot. Perhaps we will need =
> ask the admins to switch (or rather rename) KF5 to master and master to
> something else.
>

> Regards,
> Mark
>

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:09 PM, Heiko Becker <heirecka@exherbo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> On 01/26/18 13:45, Mat=C4=9Bj Laitl wrote:
>> > Hi Stefano,
>> > I totally agree, 2.9 should be released to push the work done to users=
.

>> I agree, although I don't really know how adoption by distros will turn
>> out, considering Qt4 is EOL since quite some time, same for KDELibs
>> (although not that long).  But a release isn't that much effort and at
>> least shows some activity and maybe provides incentive to contribute and
>> if all that fails it's at least a fixed point before the port to Qt5/KF5=
.

>> > I unfortunately won't find time to do it myself, but: try to start
>> > making the release yourself! ;) It should be documented quite well.
>>
>> I'd be willing to tackle this, if nobody steps up (which appears to be
>> the case at the moment, sorry if I stepped on any toes). Being a
>> packager and having done a few extragear releases with releaseme should
>> be quite helpful.
>>
>> So, I propose the following schedule:
>>
>> - 1 week to find out what can be fixed in short time with low manpower
>> or should be disabled (e.g cover search services)
>> - Create tarball afterward, give packagers and others some time to test
>> - If all goes well release on March, 5th
>> - Merge kf5 (which isn't unusable after the latest patches from Malte)
>> into master afterwards
>>
>> > If you get stuck or need help with particular tasks, speak up on ML (a=
nd
>> > CC me), I'm quite confident somebody from us will help. (people usuall=
>> > procrastinate "big" tasks, but answering a concrete questions is much
>> > easier)
>>
>> What I'm a bit unsure about is how to communicate the release. Something
>> along the lines "This release might not be as polished as past releases,
>> but there's some activity and bug fixes, a port to KF5 and any help is
>> certainly welcome."?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Heiko
>>
>> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:43 PM Stefano Pettini
>> > <stefano.pettini@gmail.com <mailto:stefano.pettini@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     Hi Matej,
>> >
>> >     have you received my last message to the mailing list? What's your
>> >     opinion? Sadly the project seems really abandoned, still it doesn'=
> [...]

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

nothing will be destroyed in \
class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">2018-02-23 13:45 GMT+01:00 Mark \
Kretschmann <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:kretschmann@kde.org" \
like a good proposal. I can also provide some help as I&#39;ve done releases in the \
how feasible this is considering that both branches have diverged a lot. Perhaps we \
will need to ask the admins to switch (or rather rename) KF5 to master and master to \
class="gmail_quote">On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:09 PM, Heiko Becker <span \
dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:heirecka@exherbo.org" \
On 01/26/18 13:45, Matěj Laitl wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi Stefano,<br>
&gt; I totally agree, 2.9 should be released to push the work done to users.<br>
turn<br> out, considering Qt4 is EOL since quite some time, same for KDELibs<br>
(although not that long).   But a release isn&#39;t that much effort and at<br>
least shows some activity and maybe provides incentive to contribute and<br>
if all that fails it&#39;s at least a fixed point before the port to Qt5/KF5.<br>
&gt; I unfortunately won&#39;t find time to do it myself, but: try to start<br>
&gt; making the release yourself! ;) It should be documented quite well.<br>
the case at the moment, sorry if I stepped on any toes). Being a<br>
packager and having done a few extragear releases with releaseme should<br>
be quite helpful.<br>
So, I propose the following schedule:<br>
- 1 week to find out what can be fixed in short time with low manpower<br>
or should be disabled (e.g cover search services)<br>
- Create tarball afterward, give packagers and others some time to test<br>
- If all goes well release on March, 5th<br>
- Merge kf5 (which isn&#39;t unusable after the latest patches from Malte)<br>
into master afterwards<br>
&gt; If you get stuck or need help with particular tasks, speak up on ML (and<br>
&gt; CC me), I&#39;m quite confident somebody from us will help. (people usually<br>
&gt; procrastinate &quot;big&quot; tasks, but answering a concrete questions is \
much<br> &gt; easier)<br>
Something<br> along the lines &quot;This release might not be as polished as past \
releases,<br> but there&#39;s some activity and bug fixes, a port to KF5 and any help \
is<br> certainly welcome.&quot;?<br>
Cheers,<br>
Heiko<br>
&gt; On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:43 PM Stefano Pettini<br>
href="mailto:stefano.pettini@gmail.com" target="_blank">stefano.pettini@gmail.com</a> \
&lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:stefano.pettini@gmail.com" \
&gt;        Hi Matej,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        have you received my last message to the mailing list? What&#39;s \
your<br> &gt;        opinion? Sadly the project seems really abandoned, still it \
doesn&#39;t<br> &gt;        mean we can&#39;t do a last release. I also wrote to \
Myriam, she didn&#39;t<br> &gt;        answer, hope everything is fine.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        Stefano<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        ---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>
From: *Stefano Pettini* &lt;<a href="mailto:stefano.pettini@gmail.com" \
target="_blank">stefano.pettini@gmail.com</a><br> &gt;        &lt;mailto:<a \
href="mailto:stefano.pettini@gmail.com" \
Jan 7, 2018 at 10:05 AM<br> &gt;        Subject: A proposal to release 2.9<br>
class="m_1338186739756926544h5">&gt;        To: <a href="mailto:amarok-devel@kde.org" \
target="_blank">amarok-devel@kde.org</a> &lt;mailto:<a \
href="mailto:amarok-devel@kde.org" target="_blank">amarok-devel@kde.org</a>&gt;<br> \
&gt;<br> &gt;<br>
&gt;        Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        it&#39;s many years now that Amarok 2.9 is about to be released. The<br>
&gt;        saturday-morning emails remember us weekly that there are still a<br>
&gt;        couple of regressions since years. In the meanwhile development<br>
&gt;        almost stopped, but not completely. I, like many, contributed with<br>
&gt;        small but important patches (otherwise we would haven&#39;t dedicated<br>
&gt;        time to provide such fixes).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        I think it&#39;s fair if the work since 2.8 is not wasted and 2.9 is<br>
&gt;        released.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        Current regressions are minor bugs, the only annoying thing not<br>
&gt;        working anymore is the cover search. But it&#39;s not a \
newly-introduced<br> &gt;        regression, just the world changed and all the \
services used for<br> &gt;        cover search become not available anymore. It&#39;s \
not a problem not<br> &gt;        present in 2.8 that people would face when updating \
to 2.9. It&#39;s<br> &gt;        already broken now.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        I would disable what doesn&#39;t work to not give false impressions,<br>
&gt;        removing the broken services from cover search, and release 2.9.<br>
&gt;        This would fix the access to wikipedia and other bugs we dedicated<br>
&gt;        time to.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        Cover search can be restored later, if developers find time to<br>
&gt;        dedicate to it and somebody reviews the available services and<br>
&gt;        select the suitable ones for the future Amarok.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;        Regards,<br>
&gt;        Stefano<br>