List:       amarok-devel
Subject:    Re: Queue Manager
From:       furt () gmx ! de
Date:       2010-02-01 14:55:32

> Datum: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 08:12:04 -0500
> Von: Jeff Mitchell <mitchell@kde.org>
> On 01/31/2010 08:06 PM, furt@gmx.de wrote:
> > Concerning the actual implementation: currently I use a very basic
> approach by
> > simply polling TrackNavigator::queue() from within a QueueEngine and
> Anytime you use the word "polling" and you're not talking about device
> drivers, you're probably doing something wrong. These days, even if you
> are writing device drivers, you might very well be doing something wrong
> anyways.  :-)

Thanks, I know that of course. But as I said, I am new to kde programming, and I just \
wanted to get in touch with plasma programming and get some visible results to prove \
that my understanding of displaying things in plasma (for the context view) was \
correct - so I used the possibility of the Plasma::DataEngine to poll, so that I \
didn't have to change any code in any amarok classes in the first iteration.

> Why not emit a signal when the queue is modified, and connect that
> signal to a slot in your manager?

As far as I understand, plasma applets should use a data engine to access any data ( \
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma#Plasma_Programming_with_C.2B.2B \
). That's the reason why I wrote the QueueEngine. That one of course, could connect \
to a Signal. But I've had a look at the AlbumsApplet and the CurrentApplet, which \
both use an observer to observe the playlist or the current track. The observer lives \
in amaroklib, and only that observer would have to be exported from amaroklib, so it \
can be used from the plasma applets. If I wanted to connect to the queue directly, \
the TrackNavigator would have to exported - I don't know about the policy to export \
arbitrary classes... and of course, there would be problems when the track navigator \
changes, e.g. when the playmode is switched from random to dynamic mode.

-Marius