On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Ian Monroe wrote: > First off I don't really understand why everyone went and made > personal repos, its like people thought they were required (most seem > unused). I think its just causing confusion. Unless you want a pretty > handy way to share your work as you work on it, just commit and push > to the mainline repo. Its more straightforward and also a handy way to > share your work. :) > > So to define (at least how I use these words): > mainline: the new trunk > personal branch: basically this is your local work that you decided to > publish. No one else has commit rights to it. Likely you'll merge the > work here relatively quickly into mainline. > feature branch: working on some new feature with 1 or more other > developers. Might go weeks or months without merging into mainline. > > But anyways, on a personal branch, where remote 'origin' is Amarok mainline. > to sync with master: > git checkout personal-branch > git remote update > git rebase origin/master > git push -f > > push -f is needed since rebase changes history. push -f is bad if > other people are making commits to your personal branch, since they > will be pretty screwed if. But then its not a personal branch, its a > feature branch by definition. :) > > so to merge master on a feature branch: > git checkout somefeature > git remote update > git merge origin/master > git push > > And then weeks later when you finish the feature branch, and let > everyone else know: > git remote update > git rebase origin/master > git push -f #update feature branch > git push origin somefeature:master #merge into mainline > > So push -f still isn't requried for merging into mainline isn't > required (which is good, since its impossible) since rebase has only > been editing the history of commits that aren't in mainline. > > The key is to not mix up whether its a personal branch or a feature > branch. :) You can't rebase and then expect a plain 'push' to work to > your personal branch. And if this is all really confusing for you, > stop publishing your personal branches and just use mainline. :P Bump! I still see a lot of "Merge branch master" commit logs. It would be nice to get a consensus on the "rebase vs merge" debate. Please read Ian's mail if you haven't, I think he managed to put it all into perspective :) -- Mark Kretschmann Amarok Developer www.kde.org - amarok.kde.org _______________________________________________ Amarok-devel mailing list Amarok-devel@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/amarok-devel