List:       amarok
Subject:    Re: [Patch] Allow toolbar to be completely detached as a window
From:       Nikolaj Hald Nielsen <nhnfreespirit () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-20 16:30:26

Personally I think this approach is a bad idea, and I think it is
somewhat overkill for what you want to achieve, namely a small,
compact player window.

The reason I think this is that it adds another layer of code and
complexity to achieve what is almost possible already, and which could
easily be solved in a much more generic way. Currently you can tweak
the layout of Amarok almost freely. If you disable the Media sources,
the context view and the Playlist, you are left with just the menubar,
main toolbar and status bar, which actually makes for a quite nice
compact player window.

Granted, having to change this a back and forth every time you want to
use the compact view is annoying, so what I would propose, and
something I have been pondering for a while anyway, was to allow
saving and restoring of "named layouts" (as opposed to just having
_one_ layout file stored currently) and then allowing these to be
bookmarked along with the current window geometry.

This would allow you to switch back and forth between full and compact
mode, but additionally would also allow you to store specialized
layouts for other purposes, such as when running on a small netbook
screen as opposed to then the netbook is attached to a large monitor.

So, I think just detaching the toolbar into a seperate window is a
hack for a usecase that could be more elegantly and generically solved
by using the system that is already in place.

- Nikolaj