List:       amarok
Subject:    Fade out on pause, Fade in from play
From:       level1 <premiersullivan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-20 3:34:27

Hi, I don't know if some one has already thought of this, or if amarok 2.0
will still have the "fade out" feature, but could we add a feature to fade
the music out when the user pauses?  This fade should be done very quickly
(<1500ms?), I would guess.  I already wrote a little shell script for amarok
1.4 as a proof of concept, check it out:

if( $(dcop amarok player isPlaying) = true)
then
	echo "Fading out"
	for((i=100;i>60;i-=5))
	do
		dcop amarok player setVolume $i
		sleep 0.01
	done
	for((i=60;i>30;i-=10))
	do
		dcop amarok player setVolume $i
		sleep 0.01
	done
	for((i=30;i>=0;i-=15))
	do
		dcop amarok player setVolume $i
		sleep 0.01
	done
	dcop amarok player playPause
else
	echo "Fading in"
	dcop amarok player setVolume 0
	dcop amarok player playPause
	for((i=0;i<30;i+=15))
	do
		dcop amarok player setVolume $i
		sleep 0.01
	done
	for((i=30;i<60;i+=10))
	do
		dcop amarok player setVolume $i
		sleep 0.01
	done
	for((i=60;i<=100;i+=5))
	do
		dcop amarok player setVolume $i
		sleep 0.01
	done
fi

Notice that the fade 'tails off" at the end when fading out, and accelerates
when fading in.  I think this gives a more natural effect; I don't really
know how the existing (1.4) amarok fade works, but it sounds wrong to me.

I know you are busy on the new amarok, but if you think this is a good idea,
it seems like it should quick to program.  Either way, I'm sure 2.0 is going
to be great!  Thanks for all the hard work!