List:       amarok
Subject:    VLC engine for amarok
From:       "=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=89ric_ALBER?=" <eric.alber () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-29 23:14:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi everybody,

I've written an engine for Amarok in order to use the VLC media playback
library (www.videolan.org) as backend for your excellent audio player.
There are still several bugs with the equalizer and the scope, but music
playback works well :)
VLC can be configured with the following file :
~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/vlc-config.xml

I've written this plugin because I wanted to use Amarok to play music on my
loudspeakers connected to my freebox (a set-top-box provided by the french
ISP free.fr). The freebox accepts mpeg audio streamed over http with VLC, so
I just had to connect all this stuff together with an engine for amarok.
I think this cas be adapted to other set-top-boxes.
It works with VLC v.0.8.6. If you are using another version of vlc, change
the MODULE_SYMBOL define in VlcDefines.h. For instance, with Ubuntu edgy,
change it from 0_8_6 to 0_8_5 as edgy uses an svn version of VLC which is
still internally tagged as a 0.8.5 .

Here are the sources to add to the engine directory of the amarok source
tree: http://eric.alber.free.fr/public/amarok-vlc-engine_0.2.tar.gz
And there is the files to place in your ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok in order to
use Amarok with a freebox:
http://eric.alber.free.fr/public/amarok-vlc-settings.tar.gz
Tell me if you encounter any problem.

I just would like to know if you want to put this code in the amarok svn, if
not, I think I'll put it on sourceforge in case it would be useful to
someone.

And finally, I just want to thank all the amarok team for the great work you
are doing :)

Regards,

Eric ALBER