List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: troubleshooting
From:       Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 () duke ! edu>
Date:       2001-08-30 21:01:28

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 at 2:47pm, brian wrote

> i have been having some trouble with my tape drive.. and in turn, trouble
> with amanda.  what are some simple things i can do to test out my tape
> drive?  any time i try and write to a tape amanda says that there is no
> tape or that its at the end of the tape.
>
> ive got a sony ait-1 drive on a machine running linux.

Write to the tape directly using dump or tar, and note any error messages.

Look for error messages in /var/log/messages and `dmesg`.

Use new or known-good tapes.

For SCSI, be sure to check your termination, cabling, termination, and
that you used the proper color goat.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering