List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: blank messages
From:       Steve Shah <sshah () cert ! UCR ! EDU>
Date:       1998-07-01 20:17:28

On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 02:42:12PM -0500, John R. Jackson wrote:
> Don't know for sure, but the first thing I would do is cd to the directory
> with the log.* files and run reporter by hand:
>
>     .../libexec/reporter log.YYYYMMDD.0
>
> That will dump it to the screen (or core dump :-).

Went smooth. Generated a report without crashing, although it was
very picky about where amanda.conf was. I've kept amanda.conf
in ~/etc/amanda/cert/amanda.conf since my 2.4.0 install and
it has so far been working great.

> If that goes OK, try copying the log.YYYYMMDD.0 file to "log" and run
> reporter without an argument.  That will do exactly what amdump does
> and try to mail it (it will also rename log to log.YYYYMMDD.1, which
> you can remove since it's a duplicate).

Groovy. Sent the message to the right place with the same report.

> Actually, the first thing I'd do is check for a core file in that

No core dumps anywhere in the amanda home directory or subdirectories.

> directory and also see if "log" has been renamed log.YYYYMMDD.0 by the

It was renamed.

> normal amdump run.  If it is being renamed, then reporter is sort of
> working and it might just be the E-mail that's not.  If "log" is still
> laying around, then reporter is probably dieing.

I'll double check that it didn't choke on the e-mail part of it,
but e-mail has been working without fail from the amanda user to
our systems group e-mail folder for many many months now. In addition,
we did get a message from amanda, however it was blank indicating
that reporter didn't generate a report for amdump to mail.

Now that I have my report, I have another problem. =) I'll put that
in another thread to keep things clear.

-Steve