List:       amanda-users
Subject:    cannot map libamserver.so
From:       Jason Hatch <Jason.Hatch () williams ! edu>
Date:       1997-08-29 18:55:35

Hello All,

I've written once before on this but it is really killing me.

Background: After doing a 'make distclean; configure; make install' on
amanda and pointing it into a new directory, the files installed properly
into my new amanda home directory. It was working, but I noticed when I
moved my OLD lib directory, I got:

18608:./amcheck: /sbin/loader: Fatal Error: cannot map libamserver.so

If I were to move the old lib dir BACK into place, it would work.

After doing a 'make distclean', I passed --prefix=<NEWDIR>, so I don't
understand why completely, cleanly made binaries are still being linked on
those OLD directories.

I've since NUKED my new amanda home, my old amanda home and my entire
source tree and it still gives me the error.

I've sinced NUKED IT AGAIN, this time building the latest beta and I am
still getting that error.

Here is my total config command:
(as root)
./configure --prefix=/usr/lib/amanda --with-user=amanda
--with-group=backup --with-amandahost

The prefix should do it all. I'd like to thank everyone who's offered help
before, on my previous post, but I fully expected that the new beta would
build ok, especially from a completely fresh dist.

I strongly wonder if there is a problem with the makefile not linking it
with a reference to the new base dir...

If I take the setuid bit off of amcheck and I run it as root, I don't get
the loader error if I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to include amanda's lib
dir. It was recommended to me by Alexandre that I make the binaries
statically, but I'd rather not do that unless I have to (-:

I'd like to thank all who have commented on my earlier post, especially
Alexandre, who's been very helpful. I have a feeling there's a very simple
explanation for this problem... I *did* get it to resolve its library the
first build, but since then, I can't get it to work. it's almost like
Digital UNIX is cacheing its library locations.

-Jason