List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Setting up Amanda on Linux
From:       Peter Wright <pwright () srtb0411-b15 ! resnet ! ubc ! ca>
Date:       1997-08-23 21:25:22

I have linux 2.0.30 and I'm have a pain of a time trying to get amanda to
run.  It compiles, it installs, I configure but it doesn't work.  I did a:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make check
su
make install

As the amanda user, I added teh amanda user to the disk group, and made
sure it had access to /etc/dumpdates and to the disks.  I created the
/usr/etc/amanda, /usr/var/amanda and /usr/var/amanda-index directories and
chowned them to amanda.  I've configured the inet.conf file for amanda.
But when I do amcheck DailySet1 as the amanda user I get:

[amanda@mycle DailySet1]$ amcheck DailySet1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/home/amanda/space: 262140 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
NOTE: skipping tape-writeable test.
Tape Daily11 label ok.
Server check took 2.857 seconds.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: mycle: [could not open /dev/sda9: Permission denied]
ERROR: mycle: [could not open /dev/sda8: Permission denied]
ERROR: mycle: [could not open /dev/sda7: Permission denied]
ERROR: mycle: [could not open /dev/sda6: Permission denied]
ERROR: mycle: [could not open /dev/sda2: Permission denied]
ERROR: mycle: [could not open /dev/sda1: Permission denied]
ERROR: mycle: [can not read/write /etc/dumpdates: Permission denied]
Client check: 1 hosts checked in 0.119 seconds, 7 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.3.0.4)

Below is all the configuration files and stuff, can anyone tell me what
I'm doing wrong here?

groups as the amanda user gives:

[amanda@mycle DailySet1]$ groups
disk users amanda

An ls -l of /dev/sda* gives:

[amanda@mycle DailySet1]$ ls -l /dev/sda*
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   0 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   1 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda1
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  10 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda10
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  11 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda11
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  12 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda12
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  13 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda13
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  14 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda14
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,  15 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda15
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   2 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda2
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   3 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda3
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   4 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda4
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   5 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda5
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   6 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda6
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   7 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda7
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   8 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda8
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   9 Sep 12  1994 /dev/sda9

And an ls -l of /etc/dumpdates:

[amanda@mycle DailySet1]$ ls -l /etc/dumpdates
-rw-r--r--   1 amanda   disk            0 Aug 23 13:50 /etc/dumpdates

ls of /usr/etc/amanda/DailySet1:

[amanda@mycle DailySet1]$ ls /usr/etc/amanda/DailySet1
Makefile            amanda.conf         chg-generic.conf    disklist~
Makefile.am         amanda.conf.in      config.site         tapelist
Makefile.in         amanda.conf~        disklist
tapelist.yesterday

This is my amanda.conf file in the /usr/etc/amanda/DailySet1:

#
# amanda.conf - sample Amanda configuration file.  This is the actual config
#		file in use at CS.UMD.EDU.
#
# If your configuration is called, say, "csd", then this file normally goes
# in /usr/etc/amanda/csd/amanda.conf.
#

org "DailySet1"		# your organization name for reports
mailto "pwright"	# space separated list of operators at your site
dumpuser "amanda"	# the user to run dumps under
#
inparallel 4		# maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
netusage  600		# maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

dumpcycle 1 days# the number of days in the normal dump cycle
tapecycle 1 tapes	# the number of tapes in rotation

bumpsize 20 MB		# minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays     1		# minimum days at each level
bumpmult     4		# threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult

runtapes     1
#tpchanger "no-changer" # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev	"/dev/nst0"	# Linux @ tuck
# tapedev "/dev/nrst8"	# or use the (no-rewind!) tape device directly

tapetype Tape-Stor		# what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "Daily[0-9][0-9]*$"	# label constraint regex: all tapes must match

diskdir "/home/amanda/space"	# where the holding disk is
disksize 100 MB			# how much space can we use on it
#diskdir "/dumps/amanda/work"	# additionaly holding disks can be specified
#diskdir "/mnt/disk4"
#disksize 1000 MB		# 	they are used round-robin

# Amanda needs a few MB of diskspace for the log and debug files,
# as well as a database.  This stuff can grow large, so the conf directory
# isn't usually appropriate.  We use /usr/adm.  Create an amanda directory
# under there.  You need a separate infofile and logfile for each
# configuration, so create subdirectories for each conf and put the files
# there.  Specify the filenames below.

infofile "/usr/var/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo"	# database filename
logfile  "/usr/var/amanda/DailySet1/log"	# log filename

# tapetypes
#
# Define the type of tape you use here, and use it in "tapetype" above.
# Some typical types of tapes are included here.  The tapetype tells amanda
# how many MB will fit on the tape, how big the filemarks are, and how
# fast the tape device is.
#
# For completeness Amanda should calculate the inter-record gaps too, but it
# doesn't.  For EXABYTE and DAT tapes this is ok.  Anyone using 9 tracks for
# amanda and need IRG calculations?  Drop me a note if so.

define tapetype Tape-Stor {
    comment "Seagate Tape Stor 8000"
    length 4000 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes		# don't know a better value
    speed 600 kbytes
}

define tapetype QIC-60 {
    comment "Archive Viper"
    length 60 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes		# don't know a better value
    speed 100 kbytes		# dito
}

define tapetype DEC-DLT2000 {
    comment "DEC Differential Digital Linear Tape 2000"
    length 15000 mbytes
    filemark 8 kbytes
    speed 1250 kbytes
}

# goluboff@butch.Colorado.EDU
# in amanda-users (Thu Dec 26 01:55:38 MEZ 1996)

define tapetype SURESTORE-1200E {
    comment "HP AutoLoader"
    length 3900 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes
    speed 500 kbytes
}

define tapetype EXB-8500 {
    comment "Exabyte EXB-8500 drive on decent machine"
    length 4200 mbytes
    filemark 48 kbytes
    speed 474 kbytes
}

define tapetype EXB-8200 {
    comment "Exabyte EXB-8200 drive on decent machine"
    length 2200 mbytes
    filemark 2130 kbytes
    speed 240 kbytes
}

define tapetype HP-DAT {
    comment "DAT tape drives"
    length 1900 mbytes		# these numbers are not accurate
    filemark 100 kbytes		# but you get the idea
    speed 500 kbytes
}

define tapetype DAT {
    comment "DAT tape drives"
    length 1000 mbytes		# these numbers are not accurate
    filemark 100 kbytes		# but you get the idea
    speed 100 kbytes
}

define tapetype MIMSY-MEGATAPE {
    comment "Megatape (Exabyte based) drive through Emulex on Vax 8600"
    length 2200 mbytes
    filemark 2130 kbytes
    speed 170 kbytes		# limited by the Emulex bus interface, ugh
}

# dumptypes
#
# These are referred to by the disklist file.  The dumptype specifies
# certain "options" for dumping including:
#	index		- keep an index of the files backed up
#	compress-fast	- (default) compress on the client using fast algorithm
#	compress-best	- compress using the best (and slowww) algorithm
#	no-compress	- don't compress the dump output
#	srvcompress	- Compress dumps on the tape host instead of client
#			  machines.  This may be useful when a fast tape host
#			  is backing up slow clients.
#	record		- (default) record the dump in /etc/dumpdates
#	no-record	- don't record the dump, for testing
#	no-hold		- don't go to the holding disk, good for dumping
#			  the holding disk partition itself.
#	skip-full	- Skip the disk when a level 0 is due, to allow
#			  full backups outside Amanda, eg when the machine
#			  is in single-user mode.
#	skip-incr	- Skip the disk when the level 0 is NOT due.  This
#			  is used in archive configurations, where only full
#			  dumps are done and the tapes saved.
#	no-full		- Do a level 1 every night.  This can be used, for
#			  example, for small root filesystems that only change
#			  slightly relative to a site-wide prototype.  Amanda
#			  then backs up just the changes.
#
# Also, the dumptype specifies the priority level, where "low", "medium" and
# "high" are the allowed levels.  These are only really used when Amanda has
# no tape to write to because of some error.  In that "degraded mode", as
# many incrementals as will fit on the holding disk are done, higher priority
# first, to insure the important disks are dumped first.

define dumptype always-full {
    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
    options no-compress
    priority high
    dumpcycle 0
    maxcycle 0
}

define dumptype comp-user-tar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    options no-compress, index, exclude-list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-root-tar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    options no-compress, index, exclude-list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

define dumptype user-tar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    options no-compress, index, exclude-list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype high-tar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    options no-compress, index, exclude-list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority high
}

define dumptype root-tar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "Root partitions dumped with tar"
    options no-compress, index, exclude-list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
    priority low
}

define dumptype comp-user {
    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
    options compress-fast
    priority medium
}

define dumptype nocomp-user {
    comment "Non-root partitions on slow machines"
    options no-compress
    priority medium
}

define dumptype holding-disk {
    comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
    options no-hold
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-root {
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    options compress-fast
    priority low
}

define dumptype nocomp-root {
    comment "Root partitions without compression"
    options no-compress
    priority low
}

define dumptype comp-high {
    comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
    options compress-best
    priority high
}

define dumptype nocomp-high {
    comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
    options no-compress
    priority high
}

define dumptype nocomp-test {
    comment "test dump without compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
    options no-compress, no-record
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-test {
    comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
    options compress-fast, no-record
    priority medium
}

Here's the disklist files:

# sample Amanda2 disklist file, derived from CS.UMD.EDU's disklist
#
# If your configuration is called, say, "csd2", then this file normally goes
# in /etc/amanda/csd2/disklist.
#
# File format is:
#
#	hostname diskdev dumptype
#
# where the dumptypes are defined by you in amanda.conf.

# At our site, root partitions have a different dumptype because they
# are of lower priority; they don't contain user data, and don't change
# much from the department prototype.  In a crunch, they can be left for
# last or skipped.

mycle sda1 comp-high
mycle sda2 comp-high
mycle sda6 comp-high
mycle sda7 comp-high
mycle sda8 comp-high
mycle sda9 comp-high

# A SPARCstation 1+
#salty sd0a comp-root
#salty sd0g comp-user
#salty sd1g comp-user
#salty sd2a comp-root
#salty sd2g comp-user
#salty sd3c comp-user

# A DECstation 3100
#slithy rz1a comp-root
#slithy rz1g comp-user
#slithy rz3a comp-root
#slithy rz3g comp-user

# We don't run compression on the master host since it is going to be
# busy enough running amanda.
#master sd0a nocomp-root
#master sd0g nocomp-user
# the holding disk can't be dumped to itself, it uses a disktype that
# specifies the "no-hold" option (see amanda.conf).
#master sd1c holding-disk

# The chairman's disk is high priority to make sure it gets done.
#bigwig	sd0a comp-root
#bigwig	sd0g comp-high
# Likewise the named databases in the root partition on our primary
# nameserver.  Also, compression is turned off because we don't want
# to create any unnecessary load on this baby (it's only a Sun3).
#bozo        sd0a nocomp-high
#bozo        sd0g nocomp-user
#bozo        sd4c nocomp-user

# Dump Joe's NetBSD machine, with the mounted MS-DOS partition dumped
# using tar.
#joespc  wd0a comp-root
#joespc  wd0e comp-user
#joespc	/msdos comp-user-tar

# Some really slow machines, like Sun2's and some Vaxstations, take
# forever to compress their dumps: it's just not worth it.

# A Sun2
#cleo     sd0a nocomp-root
#cleo     sd0g nocomp-user
# A VaxStation
#susie         rz8a nocomp-root
#susie         rz8g nocomp-user

# and so on ... well, you get the idea

My inet.conf:

#
# inetd.conf	This file describes the services that will be available
#		through the INETD TCP/IP super server.  To re-configure
#		the running INETD process, edit this file, then send the
#		INETD process a SIGHUP signal.
#
# Version:	@(#)/etc/inetd.conf	3.10	05/27/93
#
# Authors:	Original taken from BSD UNIX 4.3/TAHOE.
#		Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org>
#
# Modified for Debian Linux by Ian A. Murdock <imurdock@shell.portal.com>
#
# Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com>
#
#
# Echo, discard, daytime, and chargen are used primarily for testing.
#
# To re-read this file after changes, just do a 'killall -HUP inetd'
#
#echo	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#echo	dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
#discard	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#discard	dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
#daytime	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#daytime	dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
#chargen	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
#chargen	dgram	udp	wait	root	internal
#
# These are standard services.
#
ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.ftpd -l -a
telnet	stream  tcp 	nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	in.telnetd
gopher	stream  tcp 	nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	gn

# do not uncomment smtp unless you *really* know what you are doing.
# smtp is handled by the sendmail daemon now, not smtpd.  It does NOT
# run from here, it is started at boot time from /etc/rc.d/rc#.d.
#smtp	stream  tcp 	nowait  root    /usr/bin/smtpd	smtpd
#nntp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.nntpd
#
# Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.
#
shell	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.rshd
login	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.rlogind
#exec	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.rexecd
talk	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.talkd
ntalk	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.ntalkd
#dtalk	stream	tcp	waut	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.dtalkd
#
# Pop and imap mail services et al
#
pop-2   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	ipop2d
pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	ipop3d
imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd	imapd
#
#Amanda
#
amandaidx stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/libexec/amindexd amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait amanda /usr/libexec/amidxtaped  amidxtaped
amanda dgram udp wait bin /usr/libexec/amandad amandad

#
# The Internet UUCP service.
#
#uucp	stream	tcp	nowait	uucp	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/lib/uucp/uucico	-l
#
# Tftp service is provided primarily for booting.  Most sites
# run this only on machines acting as "boot servers." Do not uncomment
# this unless you *need* it.
#
#tftp	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.tftpd
#bootps	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	bootpd
#
# Finger, systat and netstat give out user information which may be
# valuable to potential "system crackers."  Many sites choose to disable
# some or all of these services to improve security.
#
# cfinger is for GNU finger, which is currently not in use in RHS Linux
#
finger	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.fingerd
#cfinger stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.cfingerd
#systat	stream	tcp	nowait	guest	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/bin/ps	-auwwx
#netstat	stream	tcp	nowait	guest	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/bin/netstat	-f inet
#
# Time service is used for clock syncronization.
#
time	stream	tcp	nowait	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.timed
time	dgram	udp	wait	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.timed
#
# Authentication
#
auth   stream  tcp     nowait    nobody    /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l -e -o
#
# End of inetd.conf