List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: Backup of multiple clients sharing the same IP
From:       Heiko Schlittermann <hs () schlittermann ! de>
Date:       2019-10-29 6:34:17

Chris Hassell <Chris.Hassell@betsol.com> (Di 29 Okt 2019 05:50:45 CET):
> I am pretty familiar with IPv6 and could take a look into it as well.
> It doesn't *need* to be that hard .. but it has to work everywhere, when
> it does.
>
> The simplicity of a fe80::/9 local LAN network is hard to beat, with no
> DHCP nor any other nonsense to worry about.  Rather secure (to a point)
> also.   I will see what I can over the next few months of work.

From the development point of view? There is a buildtime option for
*disabling* IPv6. Debian uses this (they disable IPv6 in Amanda for
about 10 years already), I'll try what happens to me, if I re-enable IPv6.
It would solve my problem in the most elegant way, even I can't make use
of the fe80::/9 network, as the clients are spread over several
networks.

amanda (1:2.5.2p1-5) unstable; urgency=low

  * add --without-ipv6 as a short-term fix for amdump connectivity problems,
    closes: #482754, #501281, #470202

 -- Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>  Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:52:51 -0600

Meanwhile Debian stable (buster) ships 3.5.1, but IPv6 still disabled.

    Heiko