List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: Monitor and Manage
From:       Chris Miller <cjm () tryx ! org>
Date:       2018-11-15 18:14:25

Hi Gene,

----- Original Message -----

I am backing up three clients to three separate vtape locations, which I think means \
three different vtape pools. Superficially, there is no problem with this, meaning \
the backups run to completion and collect the expected amount of data. Since each \
separate copy of AMANDA is contacting each independent client and storing the backup \
in independent locations, I don't foresee any cross-contamination or confusion, but I \
confess that I have not analyzed the backups to prove this -- yet. The server is the \
only component that is burdened by the multiple copies of AMANDA, but I don't see \
that demand being reduced by serializing the jobs.

It is true that this is fragile, meaning a future change in configuration could \
change this matrix of independence, but the worst case is concurrent non-zero dumps \
have a race condition, so you're never sure which backup has the most recent copy of \
an overlapping file. The Linux clients run xinet.d, so they are thread-safe, and even \
backingup overlapping DLE will work, but you'll never know which backup has the most \
recent version of a file. On Windows clients, I don't know enough about ZWCService to \
know if it can fork child processes or if it is thread-safe, but assuming it has the \
same functionality as Linux, it suffers from the same problems, of not knowing where \
the most recent copy of an overlapping file might be.

Is there another reason that I don't want to run my backups simultaneously?

Thanks for the help, Gene.
--
Chris.

V:916.974.0424