List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: Amanda clients running Docker
From:       "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferroin7 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-03-29 11:59:00

On 2018-03-27 11:12, Joi L. Ellis wrote:
> I’m looking for information about how best to manage Amanda clients upon
> which are Devs are running docker containers.  Some of the production
> hosts are also running containers.  Does anyone have suggestions
> regarding best practices for backing up docker containers in an Amanda
> environment?  (I don’t use docker and I haven’t found anything online
> discussing containers on Amanda clients.)
>
> Any pointers, suggestions, or online references would be very welcome.
I don't use Docker myself, but I do use LXC and know a lot of people who
use a wide variety of container platforms including Docker, and the
general principals are pretty much the same regardless of platform.

You have 5 options for handling container backups with Amanda:

1. Back up the containers as part of the regular host-system backup, and
do all the containers together as one DLE.
2. Back up the containers as part of the regular host system backup with
each container being it's own DLE (or DLE's).
3. Back up the containers in a separate backup set from the host system,
with one DLE per host system.
4. Back up the containers in a separate backup set from the host system,
with one DLE per container.
5. Back up the containers from the containers themselves.

Of these, most people I know use option 2 or 4 (I use approach 2 with
locally written integration with the LXC to get the list of containers
to back up).  Option 1 is probably the easiest, but can have performance
issues if you have lots of containers (and requires a bit of effort to
make sure you don't back up transient things like CI build containers).
Option 3 suffers from the same issues that option 1 does, but takes more
effort to set up.  Option 5 violates principles of minimalism, and is
only really practical if your containers are full-system images instead
of just bare-bones micro-services.