List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: Question revisited.
From:       Gene Heskett <gheskett () wdtv ! com>
Date:       2015-12-12 23:00:46

On Saturday 12 December 2015 14:05:15 Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 06:19:04AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I asked this question once before, without becoming educated, so
> > I'll ask it again.
> >
> > amanda-3.3.7 server, whatever is in wheezy clients.
> >
> > Anytime the planner issues the comment in the email I get, that a
> > certain DLE has been advanced to the last level, 2 in this case, it
> > always then does, without the planner announcing it, a level 0 of
> > that DLE, which when its my home directory, is a 35+ Gigabyte dump
> > and that bumps the size of the expected dump total by around 20
> > Gigabytes.
> >
> > Bear in mind the estimate method used is now history based since
> > asking for an estimate freezes amanda about 10% of the time and no
> > backup is made when this occurs.
> >
> > Can anyone make a sensible argument for why it does this unexpected
> > level 0?
>
> What are your bump settings?  i.e. bumpsize, bumpdays, bumpmult,
> bumppercent
>
> Jon

Hi Jon;

bumpsize 100000		# minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1		# minimum days at each level
bumpmult 1.25		# threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

I've never fully analyzed that to see what it really does, so those
figures, which haven't changed in at least a decade, originally came
from a SWAG.

Point being that anytime I see a planner line that says its to days-1, it
always does a level 0 on that DLE.  Most are small enough to be a never
mind when the average total is north of 20G's anyway.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Some mill pix are at:
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/GO704-pix>