List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: [Amanda-users] How to correctly configure holding disk and
From:       Gene Heskett <gene.heskett () verizon ! net>
Date:       2010-04-07 23:21:33

On Wednesday 07 April 2010, Giel wrote:
>Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Giel <amanda-forum < at >
backupcentral.com> wrote:
>> > I'm rerunning amanda increasing number DLE with total amount of data
>> > 3.3Tb. Fourth time I get this error after loading third tape:
>>
>> I think that's an error we just found and fixed.  Can you try a more
>> recent snapshot?  If you're running the beta version, we should have
>> beta2 out soon.
>>
>> This is the patch, if you'd like to apply it directly:
>> http://github.com/zmanda/amanda/commit/66c9efa2c2c1c8d8f867a1b3f06e05811
>>acf17de.patch
>>
>> Dustin
>
>I'm running beta1. Thanks for the patch I'll check if it helps.
>
>After this error I can't start new dumps now:
>> cat driver.20100407160002.debug
>> Wed Apr  7 16:00:02 2010: driver: pid 6931 ruid 50508 euid 50508 version
>> 3.1.0beta1: start at Wed Apr  7 16:00:02 2010 Wed Apr  7 16:00:02 2010:
>> driver: pid 6931 ruid 50508 euid 50508 version 3.1.0beta1: rename at Wed
>> Apr  7 16:00:02 2010 Wed Apr  7 17:09:37 2010: driver: critical (fatal):
>> schedule line 19: syntax error (bad dump date)
>> /usr/lib/amanda/libamanda-3.1.0beta1.so[0x7fd4e79b0416]
>> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_logv+0x1ad)[0x7fd4e634de8d]
>> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_log+0x83)[0x7fd4e634e123]
>> /usr/lib/amanda/driver[0x40a566]
>> /usr/lib/amanda/libamanda-3.1.0beta1.so[0x7fd4e79b136f]
>> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x1e4)[0x7fd4e6345384]
>> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0[0x7fd4e6348695]
>> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_iteration+0x6b)[0x7fd4e6348b7b]
>> /usr/lib/amanda/libamanda-3.1.0beta1.so[0x7fd4e79b1496]
>> /usr/lib/amanda/driver(main+0x13c0)[0x408200]
>> /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4)[0x7fd4e55ff1c4]
>> /usr/lib/amanda/driver[0x403b89]

That error doesn't look fam to me, so Dustin's got the ball on that one I'm
afraid.

Sometimes, running 'amcleanup' will pick up the pieces & put it back
together.

>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> In a previous message didn't you say you and 12-13 of these 800Gb
>> databases plus one of about 1.1Tb?
>>
>> I have mine setup so that the next level0 on any one dle still leaves me
>> with 2 older level0's in case the new one is kerflooey.
>>
>> Using a big hard drive, I have 30 days worth of 7/wk backups, so will
>> often have 4 level0's available just in case. Paranoid I guess, guilty.
>> But then the cost of your losing the only level0 is potentially much
>> higher in terms of real money. Get some math together to prove your
>> point that you need more tapes, a lot more, to really have yourself
>> covered. Me, I'd cry & cuss, but life would go on for however much more
>> time I have left, which at 75 & diabetic, is toss coin at any one time.
>> Fortunately it came up heads again this morning. Wink
>
>main problem is just we cannot split this data. I looking for flexible and
> bullet proof backup system and amanda seems to be such backup system. Now
> I have to 10Tb to back up every week but in 3 months I will have
> additional 2Tb every 6 days.

I agree, amanda's flexibility is matched only by the high priced spreads,
and when the high priced spread offers the home use a free but limited copy,
and he finds it cannot even do a home system with a feature that is disabled
in the free copy, and enabling it is a nearly $3000 USD option, then they
just shot themselves, at a much higher location than the foot.  It wouldn't
surprise me a bit to hear Arkeia would want someone with that size of
database to fork over 50G's a year for a seat at their table.  As a good
lady friend of mine sometimes known as SWMBO would say, scroooooom.
Besides, methinks the gui, nice as it is, is simply hiding the fact that it
doesn't lend itself to being script driven, and this is, IMO, amanda's
strongest suit.  So strong that I wrote some wrappers that make my backup
databases current, and backed up, current with the end of the last run, so I
can do a bare metal recovery starting at 3pm, that brings my machine current
as of about 2 am when this mornings run was finished.  I sleep better.

I believe amanda can do this, and amanda's developers will generally be glad
to get the chance to prove it can do this job.  BTW, AFAIK, the NY State
Dept of HHS is using it, and I'd expect their database rivals yours.  And
with similar security requirements.

>we are moving to disk to disk backup but before we get there we need
> reliable backup. But even after migraton still we need to take level0 to
> tapes and some incremental. Paranoid sounds good specially when you have
> medical and research data.

A prime case IMO, of ignoring the paranoia at ones own risk.  Good luck,
Giel.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A possum must be himself, and being himself he is honest.
		-- Walt Kelly