List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Re: runtar exited with status 1
From:       Gene Heskett <gene.heskett () verizon ! net>
Date:       2010-03-26 16:09:20

On Friday 26 March 2010, Michael Mueskens wrote:
>Gene Heskett schrieb:
>> On Friday 26 March 2010, Michael Mueskens wrote:
>>> how exactly did you do that? Did you change something in the
>>> amanda-source? Is this error output not from the client, so you have to
>>> patch something in the amanda-client-code?
>>> I'm having that problem since upgrading my _servers_ to 2.6.1p2 too, so
>>> I'd be quiet interested in any way to suppress that non-error? :)
>>
>> In bash, you can assign that error and process accordingly.  Here is a
>> snippet of that part of my wrapper script, with the language sanitized
>> for the list:
>>
>>        ${AM_SBIN_DIR}/amdump $CONFIGNAME $HOST $DLE >> $LOG
>>         SCS=$?
>>         echo ${AM_SBIN_DIR}"/amdump "$CONFIGNAME $HOST $DLE" returned
>> "$SCS >>$LOG if [[ $SCS -ne "0" ]] ; then
>> # according to the info page, any error is "probably a 2" return.  Dumb,
>> effing dumb.  Real effing dumb even. # so apparently a file that got
>> changed in the users maildir is an error.  Its gonna happen, just ignore
>> it. if [[ $SCS -gt "2" ]] ; then
>>                         echo "amdump THINKS it or tar failed for some
>> reason, see the $LOG file." |tee -a $LOG fi
>>
>> The $? transfers the return value to the SCS variable. $SCS is then
>> checked to see if its a real error.
>
>hello,
>
>okay, I see, you don't use the amanda-commands directly. Do I get it
> right, that in the above example you have a wrapper to start dumps? How
> do you treat amreports? Do you wrap them too?

No, they come to the local account normally.

>Actually I don't want to do something like that, I'm starting amdump via
> cronjob (okay, matter of fact I do use a wrapper-script to change the
> data-link to the correct virtual-tape, amcheck -c and then start amdump),
> but I'm letting amanda do what it's supposed to do: Backup my clients and
> send a report about it. I was hoping of a way to let amanda recognize
> _directly_ that "file changed as we read it" is no error :)
>
>Michael

This does that.  I still get that message in the emailed report, but it is
not now a showstopper.  The rest of my wrapper scripts save a current copy
of both the indices and the configs after the main run is over, so that the
indices and configs are as of the end of the last run instead of being a day
old, helpful in case you need to do a bare metal recovery, your recovery
will be a day newer.  I did have a tarball I could send along, but it was
beginning to be dated & got nuked, so I'd have to make a newer one now.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

What kind of sordid business are you on now?  I mean, man, whither
goest thou?  Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?
		-- Jack Kerouac