List:       amanda-users
Subject:    Weird, inconsistent amcheck timeouts
From:       Clint Allen <callen () kpi-consulting ! net>
Date:       2009-03-23 16:29:54

Hello all, I've been reading the list for a few weeks now, while getting my first \
Amanda installation set up.  I love the software, but (you knew that was coming) I'm \
having a lot of trouble with amcheck/amdump timing out waiting on client ACKs.  I've \
done the troubleshooting steps on the wiki \
(http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Selfcheck_request_failed) several times and managed \
to break it in other ways, but always come back to this timeout issue. Initially I \
had it set up on a small test network: one server, three clients, everything on the \
same switch.  I made a vtapelib on disk and let the dumps go for a couple weeks, did \
some restores, just to get familiar with things before moving it to our colo.  \
Everything worked flawlessly. I moved the server to the colo, got a disklist set up \
with 15 machines, and enabled the daily cron job.  Everything seemed ok until a few \
hours later, when the 'amcheck -m daily' job ran and reported several timeouts \
(including localhost, which I thought was odd).  As I mentioned earlier I went \
through all the troubleshooting I could find on the wiki, and Google; I've spent \
about two weeks on this so far.  I can't tell if it's something up with the network \
at the colo, but I can get these two things to happen consistently:

1. When I run 'amcheck daily', there are _almost_ always timeouts, but sometimes not. \
It's very sporadic. 2. When I run 'amcheck daily [hostname]', it works EVERY time.  I \
even set up a cron job to run amcheck individually for each client, every 15 mintues, \
and it never failed (left it running for about 48 hours).  This is the thing that \
stumps me the most.

The only thing I can think to do is use a similar cron job to run amdump...but I'd \
really rather use the software as intended.  If you guys have any ideas, I'm open.  \
I've tried everything I can think of.  If you need debug output, etc. I will be happy \
to post it.

Clint Allen
Systems Administrator - KPI Consulting
512-218-1001 ext. 617

NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may \
contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, \
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Nothing contained in this message or in any \
attachment shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic \
Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic \
Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.